Sunday, December 21, 2014

Santa Kidnapped by Spacemen!


Sputnik anyone?

On the ninth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...

"Santa and the Satellite, pts. 1 and 2", by Buchanan and Goodman, was released as a two sided 45 single in 1957.  It was written, performed and produced by Dickie Goodman and Bill Buchanan.  Their previous record "Flying Saucer" had a similar concept - a news report interrupted by bits of popular songs which contributed dialog to the story.  "Flying Saucer" made it to #3 on the Top Forty hit parade.

Does the Top Forty still exist?  When are 45s going to start being rediscovered by hipsters and become cool again the way vinyl 33s are?  Am I really going to have to get rid of all my CDs and replace my music collection again???  Are wind-up Victrolas going to be hip one of these days?  How about 8 track?  

Happy Christmas, and keep watching the skies!  
( and thank you, St.Louis Flashback)





Have a comment about this post?  Please, be my guest.  Indulge yourself.  I would love to hear from you.  Click on “Comments” below.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment