Friday, July 30, 2010

The Inception of Predators

I saw both of these this week. I'm not sure that I could think of 2 movies with less in common. Possibly "Brigadoon" and "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari".

The problem was that I went to "Inception" thinking I would see "Predators". I thought the latter was still playing at this particular theater. It was not. But, I figured, OK I want to see this one too so what the heck. However, I don't think you can switch gears that fast, having a taste for one and having to settle for another.

"Inception" had me at first. It was clever and the visuals were amazing of course. At least until the next big film comes along with amazing visuals which will knock this one out of the water. It had me for the first 4 or 5 hours at any rate. At about the six hour mark it started to seem kind of long. I think I sort of understand the concept they were babbling about concerning the time differences in the different dream levels. Ten minutes in one can be a week in another. My only question is this - I'm the audience, is it necessary for me to sit there for a week?

I had the same reaction to "The Dark Knight". I really liked it, was involved, etc. Then, after a few climaxes and pseudo-climaxes I was exhausted. (Ain't that always the way?) And bored. Would someone please introduce Christopher Nolan to the word "cut"?
Then I went to see "Predators". 90 minutes was just right. Maybe I'm a victim of short attention span. Maybe I'm simple. I don't know. But I found I'm completely happy with looking at men with big sweaty pecs blowing stuff up. I guess that's just me.

Next time I will compare and contrast "Fast Zombies with Guns" with "My Dinner with Andre".

No comments:

Post a Comment