Saturday, February 14, 2015

50 Shades of...Sellout AND 50 Shades in 50 seconds

By way of the website...http://50shadesofcurious.com/

Oh, I suppose I may as well join practically everyone else and get cozy in the Redrum ("redrum!  redrum!!  REDRUM!!!) of Pain this weekend, right?  Here is the hilariously spot-on summary by Bo Blaze of the hilariously inept book.    




Amazing.

And for your additional viewing and listening pleasure, here is author Laura Antoniou, feminist and erotic pioneer, reading an excerpt from her parody of, well, you know.  Also from the website 50shadesofcurious.  




While we're on the subject, anyone remember The Bridges of Madison County?  The book was published in 1992 and eventually became #1 on the NYT bestseller list and stayed on the list for almost three (count 'em, three) years.  It sold approximately 20 kajillion copies and was hailed by many people as one of the most romantic books ever written since the first caveperson chipped out his or her daily journal on a rock.  

I finally got around to reading TBofMC and found it to be one of the worst books I had ever read.  (I could never have imagined what would be coming down the pike in about 20 years.)   It was a complete mystery to me what everyone was talking about.   Then a few years later the book was made into a movie by and with Clint Eastwood, also starring Meryl Streep.  While the movie was not great, it was much, much better than the book.  In my opinion.  It also has the advantage of a great soundtrack.  

The whole 50 shades thing seems like a repeat of history.  Although I don't think TBofMC had all the tie-ins (like the kit which includes the fancy grey tie with fetching handcuffs and feathers) that 50 shades has now.  As far as I remember, the only extra from TBofMC was a slight increase in the number of tourists to Madison County, Iowa to visit some of the remaining covered bridges.   Sweetly quaint, isn't it?  

In fact, a trip to view the covered bridges in the lovely, quiet Iowa countryside sounds much, much more romantic to me than opening a box of cynically marketed playthings-for-beginners which is something that someone would give as a gag gift at a bridal shower.  But that's just me.  






Have a comment about this post?  Please, be my guest.  Indulge yourself.  I would love to hear from you.  Click on “Comments” below.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment